A winter menu
As I mentioned in a previous post, we’ve started to change the way we cook in this house… and by house I mean apartment (still a student over here!). I thought that now, given my lack of time for actual baking, would be a good time to elaborate on this.
The first point I’d like to make is that we actually developed a “menu”, a list of possible eats. Accompanying this we made some lists of essential spices, meats, and veg to keep on hand. Each week we try to plan some of the major meals we’ll make for nights when we’re both home, as well as some possible lunches and quick fixes. This has so far proved to be a great way to save on groceries and vastly improve our diets.
Here are some of the main dishes from the menu:
- Red beans and rice
- Sheppard’s pie
- Roasted chicken and vegetables
- Chicken stock
- Chicken sandwiches
- Vegetable soup
- Minestrone soup
- Beef stew
- Beef and vegetable stir fry
- Pasta with meat sauce
Many of the items on the menu, especially the soups, can be changed up by adding either lentils, potatoes, or rice. Also, making stock from the remainders of a whole chicken, or from beef or veggies, is a great way to save money. Not only do you usually have leftovers for lunch the next day, but several meals worth of soups.
As mentioned previously, I’ve also taken to making a fresh loaf of white bread every week for sandwiches and toast, as well as muffins for me to take to school as snacks.
Do you plan your meals? Are you a make-it-from-scratch kind of person?
Pass it on:
- RT @smittenkitchen: Raspberries, peaches and vanilla ice cream marbled into popsicles that are like the highest calling of a creamsicle: ht… 2 weeks ago
- RT @smittenkitchen: New: Strawberries, black pepper, lime, and tequila muddle deliciously in one of my favorite cocktails of all time: http… 1 month ago
- RT @apt613: Opening day essentials. ⚾@Come out tonight and see the @OttawaChampions raise their championship banner! Details: https://t.co/… 2 months ago
- RT @SpoonForkBacon: Very into this Green Spring Breakfast by @bevcooks 💚💚💚 bevcooks.com/2017/03/green-… spoonforkbacon.com/2016/02/savory… 2 months ago
- RT @smittenkitchen: Be warned: nobody ever makes eggs poached in spicy tomato sauce then showered with feta and herbs just once: https://t.… 3 months ago